12.30.2011

Skin Salvation

Even though it's almost January, the weather here has been unseasonably warm. We've had a few chilly days and temperatures have begun to drop at night, but so far, winter has yet to show it's teeth.

The air has gotten drier, though, especially indoors, and my skin definitely shows it. That means it's time for me to ramp up my skincare and, as P-Diddy would say,  "moisturize my situation"...

My skin has always been on the dry side. My face is more normal-to-dry, being somewhat drier in the winter,  but my body is subtropical-desert-dry all the time.
Over the last several years, I've figured out what products my skin likes the best and I only have to make a few minor changes to my skincare routine when the seasons change.

 Here's the lowdown...

For my face:

It's the most obvious thing, but makes an amazing difference in my skin





















About 8 glasses a day works for me.

DHC Cleansing Oil.
I use this all year to remove makeup. It it water soluble and rinses off cleanly. Very gentle and effective.
Sometimes I use their Mild Soap after the cleansing oil, but not as much in the winter.








Clinique Repairwear Intensive Night Cream for Dry to Very Dry Skin.



It's technically for nighttime, but I use it day and night. It rebuilds collagen and has lots of antioxidants.It doesn't have any sunscreen, so I mix it with a little foundation that has SPF.




Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado


This is very moisturizing and gentle. I only use it at night, though. My concealer is moisturizing and if I used this underneath my concealer would slide off my face.







Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer.

 Most brands never have a foundation shade light enough for me. I mix a bit of this into my moisturizing cream and it puts just the right amount of color in there...and a little SPF, too
I'm a redhead with very fair skin...I need some SPF, yo. If I am going to be outside for longer than 10-15 minutes, I wear a separate sunscreen with SPF of 70. I will burn in 20 minutes or less without it.

Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus Corrector

Trying to keep things as streamlined as possible, I use this about every other night. It's not so much a moisturizer as it is a potent wrinkle preventer/fighter.






Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment and Aquaphor
 


I apply the Blistex in a light layer first, then a but of Aquaphor on top. No more cracked, stinging, and flaky lips.














For my body:

Lush Buffy Body Butter
This little bar is a skin-miracle. Used in the shower, it has scrubby bits that make skin smooth. But it's also made of cocoa and shea butters. When they get a little warm from the shower and skin contact, the butters melt a little and leave a light layer on the skin that remains after patting skin dry. It's not greasy or oily at all. This one product has made the most difference in my skin, especially the backs of my arms, shoulders and legs. I buy 4 bars at a time and they last me all year.

Kiss My Face Lavender and Shea Moisture Shave


I used to always get scaly, flaky patches on my skin after shaving, but never with this. It's very silky, not exactly a foaming type of cream at all. More like a pearly, slippery lotion. And it smells divine.







Those are some staples for winterizing my skin.
What are some products that you love this time of year?

Smoothly,

No comments:

Post a Comment